The Doctor: People don’t understand time. It’s not what you think it is.
Sally: Then what is it?
The Doctor: Complicated.
Sally: Tell me.
The Doctor: Very complicated.
Sally: I’m clever, and I’m listening, and don’t patronise me because people have died and I’m not happy. Tell me.
The Doctor: People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect… but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it’s more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly… timey-wimey… stuff.
—Dr. Who (the TV show), “Blink”
This week, write a story in which one or more characters travels through time. The genre, time periods, format (prose, poem, play), and the method and philosophy of time travel are completely up to you! Must be 800 words or fewer.
How to Enter:
1. Read the Contest Rules
2. Follow Time Travel Contest on Figment
3. Email your entry in the body of the email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Entries must be received by Monday, May 23 at midnight EST. Moderators and editors will choose the top semi-finalists, and then we’ll have a couple days of voting to determine the winner! The winner will win a gift certificate and Hermione’s Time Turning Necklace (From Wizarding World of Harry Potter – if you’re a guy & don’t want it, we’ll talk). Good luck, figlers!
1. One entry per person, please.
2. The promotion of your contest entry is not allowed on Figment. This includes self-promotion and the promotion of other users’ contest entries in the Figment forums, the comments and reviews of stories, and the Figment Facebook page. Independent promotion on sites unrelated to Figment, like personal Facebook or Twitter accounts, is fine.
3. Works must be submitted to the above email address between the announcement of the contest and the closure of the contest. Entries created before the start date or after the end date will not be included in the pages of contest entries and will be ineligible to win. This means a new story must be created for the contest; adapting an old story published before the start of the contest will make the entry ineligible to win.
4. The rules of the contest are both strict and open to interpretation by a moderator.
5. The creation of multiple accounts to heart or otherwise vote for your contest entry on Figment is prohibited, and may result in the disqualification of that entry, the deletion of your Figment account, and/or the blocking of your IP address permanently from the site, at the moderator’s discretion.