Figment is an online community for teens and young-adults to create, discover, and share new reading and writing. Figment enables its users to read amateur and professional content and create their own unfiltered creative writing to share with their peers across web and mobile platforms.
Figment is looking for a highly-motivated, outgoing, and experienced community manager with a fanatical passion for books to support and maintain our growing network of 50,000 readers and writers and 120,000 stories. This role will require you to oversee editorial content and programming, social media marketing, moderation, internships, as well as community building and maintenance tools. Figment’s community manager is the face of the organization online, responding to inquiries, complaints, and conflicts. The job requires you to be resourceful, exceptionally organized, detail oriented, communicative, employ creative solutions to problem solving and conflict resolution, be both an ambassador and an advocate for the brand, a strong manager, and an excellent editor, and, above all else, passionate about YA fiction, writing, online communities, and social media.
This is an ideal position for someone interested in helping lead a dynamic start-up in an innovative literary field. You will have an opportunity to be creative with social reading and writing tools, editorial content, programming, and business development. Management is key—both of the community and staff. You must be well versed in publishing and YA fiction, teen culture, maintain heavy usage of social media, and have experience with WordPress, basic HTML, and forum management tools.
- Strategize and create new ideas for engaging with Figment’s users
- Understand and analyze user needs, and respond to their needs
- Gather feedback and take suggestions on improvements to our product
- Monitor discussion on all channels and intervene when necessary
- Respond to questions, complaints, conflicts on the site
- Research and identify market opportunities for growth
- Coordinate and schedule advertising campaigns
- Analyze campaigns and translate data into recommendations and plans for revising campaigns
- Develop and launch social campaigns on a variety of networks
- Develop and launch daily programming on Figment: contests, forum games, chats, videos, quizzes, polls, etc.
- Schedule, assign, edit, and create creative editorial content
- Work with staff to create marketing campaigns for publishers and authors
- Hire and manage moderation, social media employees, interns
- Reach out to bloggers, publishers, authors to spur community engagement
- Facilitate communication and collaboration between staff members; ensure accuracy and consistency
- General office management
- BA or equivalent degree required
- 1-2 years management of online communities/forums required
- 1-2 years management experience preferred
- Demonstrated creativity and documented immersion in social media and internet communities
- Experience editing and working collaboratively with writers
- Ability to create dynamic and engaging programming and content that implements business imperatives
- Fantastic analytical skills, ability to solve problems quickly, establish frameworks, and generalize solutions
- Experience and willingness to work in a start-up environment
- Demonstrated ability to map out a marketing strategy and drive that strategy, proven by testing and metrics
- Self-starter, with an ability to conceive, organize, and manage multiple projects independently
- Effective communicator of sensitive and controversial topics; resolve conflicts, especially with teenagers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as superior organization skills.
- Eager to meet and exceed objectives, take on more responsibility, and foresee new creative opportunities
- Ability to work and manage a fast-paced, ever-changing, and all hours environment
- Someone with a “ready to help” attitude; friendly, optimistic, energetic and passionate
- Knowledge of book publishing and/or online writing communities a plus
- Knowledge of teen market a plus
The position is full-time in New York City. To apply, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.