Summertime means beaches, barbeques, and, most importantly, vacations. For those of us stuck at home, the term “living vicariously” has never sounded so good. Which is probably why I’ve been staring at the picture on the left for the past week and a half.
So, to celebrate our stay-at-homeness, we’re giving you a shiny new contest!
Your task: In no more than 2,000 words, write about an exotic location you or your character(s) traveled to, discovered, or are on the hunt for. You can take this in any direction – memoir, horror, mystery, romance, fantasy, sci-fi, adventure – the sky’s the limit. It can also be in any format, so poems and screen plays are just as welcome as stories!
The first place winner will receive a keepsake steamer trunk (we know, it’s awesome) and a Moleskin City Notebook for a city of your choice. A second place winner will receive a scratch map to help you keep track of your travels, and a third random winner will receive a Figment tote and stickers!
How To Enter:
1) Read the Contest Rules (below).
2) Create your getaway-destination piece.
3) Email your entry in the body of an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
4) Follow Travel Contest on Figment.
All entries must be received by Monday, August 8, 2011 at midnight EST (that’s Monday going into Tuesday). Moderators and editors will be selecting the top semi-finalists, followed by a round of voting (by Fig Folk) to determine a winner.
1. One entry per person, please.
2. The promotion of your contest entry is not allowed on Figment. This includes self-promotion and the promotion of other users’ contest entries in the Figment forums, the comments and reviews of stories, and the Figment Facebook page. Independent promotion on sites unrelated to Figment, like personal Facebook or Twitter accounts, is fine.
3. Works must be submitted according to the instructions above between the announcement of the contest and the closure of the contest. This means a new piece must be created for the contest; adapting an old Figment piece published before the start of the contest will make the entry ineligible to win.
4. The rules of the contest are both strict and open to interpretation by a moderator.
5. The creation of multiple accounts to heart or otherwise vote for your contest entry on Figment is prohibited, and may result in the disqualification of that entry, the deletion of your Figment account, and/or the blocking of your IP address permanently from the site, at the moderator’s discretion.