Nearly ten years ago, the horrific terrorist acts of September 11, 2001 rocked New York City and the world. Those acts were bred from intolerance and hate; today, as the ten year anniversary of 9/11 draws near, we celebrate acceptance and the value of walking a mile in someone else’s shoes. MTV and Figment have teamed up to bring you a contest that encourages storytelling, creativity, and tolerance.
Your task: Create a story with three elements: a character another writer created, a setting another writer created, and a situation where someone must deal with intolerance.
How to enter: Visit the MTV contest page at figment.com/contests/mtv to see the complete rules and to access the creative content needed to build your story. Here’s how the process works:
- Visit the Character Den at figment.com/contests/mtv. Come up with a character: Invent their name, physical features, personality, likes and dislikes, etc. Describe them in a paragraph and “deposit” the character for someone else to use. You must deposit a character in order to participate.
- Read everyone else’s characters and pick one to include in your story. You can include this character in any way, as a main or a supporting character. You must include another user’s character in your story in some capacity.
- Visit the Settings Parlour at figment.com/contests/mtv. Come up with a setting, real or imaginary: Country, landscape, room, building, or city. Describe it in a paragraph and “deposit” that setting for someone else to use. You must deposit a setting in order to participate.
- Read everyone else’s settings and pick one to include in your story. You can include this setting in any way, as the only setting or as the setting for just one of the scenes in your story. You must include another user’s setting in your story in some capacity.
- Write your entry (no more than 1,000 words) as a Figment writing and hit Publish Now
- On the “Details” tab, put MTVAct in Tags
- Put the name of the creators of your setting and character in the Description (along with whatever else you choose)
- Create a cover on the “Cover Design” tab
- Your entry will show up on the “Contest Entries” tab at figment.com/contests/mtv. This may take up to three hours.
If you have any questions about how to enter, feel free to email email@example.com.
The deadline is August 31st, 2011. You can vote for an entry by hearting it until September 4th, 2011, when the top 10 entries will be sent to a panel of MTV and Figment judges comprised of YA author Maureen Johnson, musician Kenna, and author Melissa de la Cruz. The three winners will be announced on September 9th, 2011; each will receive an Apple iPad and be published on MTV Act!