Kim Culbertson is the author of two novels for teens: Songs for a Teenage Nomad and Instructions for a Broken Heart. She’s also the author of a novella, The Liberation of Max McTrue, about contentedly average Max McTrue whose entire world is turned upside down when he decides to skip class to follow home-schooled Clara on a whirlwind adventure unlike anything he’s ever experienced.
Enter the Max McTrue Flash Fiction Contest!
There will be a total of three prizes: Each winner gets a free download of The Liberation of Max McTrue as well as a custom-made journal, modeled after the journal Clara uses to record the beautiful things she encounters in everyday life. The first place winner will also receive a 30 minute manuscript review by Kim Culbertson!
All you have to do is write a super short story under 500 words that follows one of the four prompts below. Submit your entry between 11:00am on February 3, 2012 and 11:59pm on February 5, 2012. The Figment editorial staff will choose the top ten entries as finalists, and Kim will choose the winners from those finalists.
(1) Write a story set against the backdrop of a scavenger hunt.
(2) Write a story confined to the periods of a school day. The character can be in school or out of school.
(3) Write a story in which a character is deeply afraid of something.
(4) Come up with a totally ordinary character and then set him/her up to have an extraordinary day.
How to enter:
- Read the official contest rules here.
- Write an original story, under 500 words, that follows one of the four prompts above.
- Go to the “Details” tab of your story, and put maxmctrue in the “Tags” section.
- Wait the 2 hours it sometimes takes to see your story appear on the contest page.