At Figment, we adore a story with a good love triangle. Are you Team Jacob or Team Edward? Team Peeta or Team Gale? In Heather Brewer’s new novel, Soulbound, Kaya is caught up in her own love triangle. Should she choose good guy Trayton or bad boy Darius? Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as just choosing the right date to the prom.
In the world of Tril, there are Barrons (warriors) and Healers (bound to Barrons and able to cure their wounds). Kaya is a Healer, but she longs to be able to fight and defend herself from danger on the battlefield. This makes her a bit of a rebel at Shadow Academy, the boarding school where she is sent to learn how to be a Healer and be bound to a Barron. It’s against school rules for Healers to learn to fight—but Kaya is determined. She asks both Darius and Trayton to train her in secret. Only one is willing to break the rules—and the consequences will change the lives of everyone involved.
Your writing challenge: In 1,200 words or less, write a story about a love triangle from the perspective of one the following:
1. Told from the perspective of one of the triangle members
2. Told from an outsider’s perspective
3. A three-part story told from each character’s perspective
How to Enter:
1. Read the full rules.
2. Create an account on Figment.com.
3. Start a new writing of 1,200 words or fewer.
4. Tag your writing with SoulboundContest on the Details tab.
5. Press “Publish Now.”
6. You should receive a pop-up confirmation of your entry, and in about two hours or so, your piece should appear among the submissions.
You have until Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 11:59p.m. ET to enter your story. Voting will run until Monday, July 16, 2012 at 5:00 p.m. ET. Heather Brewer, the author of Soulbound, will decide the winner.
Third prize winner will receive a copy of Soulbound.