Elysia has no memories, no feelings, no life history to draw from. She has a chip in her that tells her how to interact with humans, so she’ll always know the correct response in conversation. Elysia seems to be the perfect clone—until one day she discovers she does have feelings. But if anyone finds out, she will suffer an unimaginable fate.
Inspired by Beta by Rachel Cohn, we’re hosting a weeklong flash-fiction contest!
Every day, we will be giving you a new emotion to write about. In 150 words or fewer, you’ll describe what it would be like to experience that emotion for the first time.
You have 24 hours (until 11:59 p.m. ET on the day the prompt is posted) to enter a story in response to the prompt. You can enter one story for each day’s prompt. If you respond to multiple prompts over the course of the challenge, those stories do not have to be related.
The Figment editors will choose the 10 best entries from the entire week and send them to Rachel, who will choose one grand-prize winner! The grand-prize winner will receive a copy of Beta by Rachel Cohn, Jepp, Who Defied the Stars by Katherine Marsh, Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone, Dark Star by Bethany Frenette, and Break My Heart 1,000 Times by Daniel Waters.
Five daily winners will each receive an ebook copy of Beta from the iBookstore.
Friday’s Prompt (10/26)
How to Enter
1. Read the full rules.
2. Create an account on Figment.com.
3. Start a new writing of 150 words or less.
4. Tag your writing with BetaFlashContest and BetaFlash4 on the Details tab.
5. Enter your response by 11:59 p.m. ET on Friday, October 26, 2012.
6. Press “Publish Now.
7. You should receive a pop-up confirmation of your entry, and in about two hours or so, your piece should appear among the submissions.