Banyan is a Tree Builder. In a future world where trees no longer exist, he makes a small living building metal forests for the rich. He has never seen a real tree—they died more than a hundred years before he was born—but he creates his scrap metal trees based on the descriptions his father once shared with him.
This weekend we’re challenging you to create your own future world. Each day, we’ll ask you to describe a small detail of this world in 150 words or fewer.
You have 24 hours (until 11:59 p.m. ET on the day the prompt is posted) to enter a story in response to the prompt. You can enter one story for each day’s prompt. If you respond to multiple prompts over the course of the challenge, those stories do not have to be related.
The Figment editors will choose our four favorite entries from all three days to feature on the Figment Homepage. The four winners will each receive a copy of Rootless.
Sunday’s Prompt (11/11):
“They figured me too young for a tree builder. I could see it in their eyes. Bunch of rich freaks, staring at me like I needed to impress them. But I did need to. . . .I built the best trees in the Steel Cities, but you’d never know it from the drought I’d hit.”
How to Enter:
1. Read the full rules.
2. Create an account on Figment.com.
3. Start a new writing of 150 words or less.
4. Tag your writing with RootlessFlash and RootlessDay2 on the Details tab.
5. Enter your response by 11:59 p.m. ET on Sunday, November 11, 2012.
6. Press “Publish Now.
7. You should receive a pop-up confirmation of your entry, and in about two hours or so, your piece should appear among the submissions.