The rich people who hire Banyan to build metal forests are usually a little strange, but Frost and his family make Banyan particularly uncomfortable from the start. But it’s while working their job that he makes an amazing discovery: a map that could lead him to the last living trees on earth. Banyan will risk everything to journey across the wasteland to find this priceless treasure.
This weekend we’re challenging you to create your own future world. Each day, we’ll ask you to describe a small detail of this world in 150 words or fewer.
You have 24 hours (until 11:59 p.m. ET on the day the prompt is posted) to enter a story in response to the prompt. You can enter one story for each day’s prompt. If you respond to multiple prompts over the course of the challenge, those stories do not have to be related.
The Figment editors will choose our four favorite entries from all three days to feature on the Figment Homepage. The four winners will each receive a copy of Rootless.
Monday’s Prompt (11/12):
“I slammed down the hatch to seal up the wagon. I ran to the front where the hood was still gaping wide And right before I turned back to the engine, I spotted the silhouettes of those two pirate vehicles, their oily color leaching through the dust storm, looming closer every second.”
How to Enter:
1. Read the full rules.
2. Create an account on Figment.com.
3. Start a new writing of 150 words or less.
4. Tag your writing with RootlessFlash and RootlessDay3 on the Details tab.
5. Enter your response by 11:59 p.m. ET on Monday, November 12, 2012.
6. Press “Publish Now.”
7. You should receive a pop-up confirmation of your entry, and in about two hours or so, your piece should appear among the submissions.