Thanksgiving is one of our favorite times of year. We love eating turkey and hanging out with family. We love watching the parade and taking a nap after the big meal. And we love taking a minute to step back and reflect on all the things we’re grateful for.
Alyson Noël, author of Echo, stopped by Figment to share the top five things she’s thankful for this year (and look at that, Figment made her list!). Read on below and then enter our writing challenge and share the list of things you’re grateful for!
I don’t know about you, but every year around the time the buckets of Halloween candy and paper goblin decorations make way for holiday lights, stuffed turkey, and pumpkin pie, I find myself getting reflective. I guess the realization that the year that once appeared so thick with promise just eleven months earlier is swiftly racing toward an end, forces me to look back on days past and take stock. And while that can sometimes involve taking stock of things I wish had gone differently, as a determinedly optimistic person (and die-hard list-maker!), I like to focus on the positive.
So, here it is:
My Random List (in no particular order) of 5 Things I’m Particularly Grateful for this Thanksgiving!
1. The Right to Vote. Since we’re coming off an election year, I’m feeling grateful for the freedom to cast my ballot. As a female, this was a hard earned victory, I don’t take it lightly and you shouldn’t either.
2. Dogs. Animals in general, sure—but dogs hold a special place in my heart. I’m inspired by the way they approach almost everything in their lives with a sense of absolute discovery and joy. Feeling sad, angry, tired, or lonely—go to your nearest dog park, check out the pups, (or, if you’re one of the lucky ones, check in on your own) and see if your spirits aren’t lifted. Go ahead, try it. I guarantee you’ll be smiling in no time.
3. Twitter, Facebook, Figment, Goodreads, & Assorted Online Communities. Writing is a lonely endeavor, and while the Internet can sometimes turn into a bully pulpit, for the most part, I love the way it brings like-minded people together. I begin each writing day by checking in with my book-loving online peeps, and I usually end it that way as well. I love being part of that global community!
4. Old T-shirts, Sweat Pants, & Ugg Slippers. AKA my writing uniform of choice. I’m convinced that true story magick begins with comfort, and it doesn’t get much more comfortable than that. As an added bonus, this also serves as my go-to outfit after a big Thanksgiving meal.
5. Friends & Family. The stabilizing force in a crazy/busy world. I am so incredibly grateful to have them!
Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving!
Peace * Joy * Love
Now it’s your turn to give thanks!
Figment editors will choose our five favorites to feature on the Figment homepage on Thanksgiving Day! Tag your entry by 11:59 p.m. ET on Tuesday, November 20 to enter. Read the full rules and get writing!