There are so many great things that happen on Figment, but we count the author chats—known around here as Figment Live—among our favorites. Honestly, we get just as excited as you to spend an evening talking with a group of amazing authors—and we learn so much. I mean, how could you not learn something when you’re talking with the likes of Julie Kagawa, Scott Westerfeld, and Maggie Stiefvater.
Here are our top 10 favorite moments from this year’s Figment Live.
10. Villains should’t be pure evil.
9. It’s easy to avoid cliches, if you just think originally.
8. Kissing scenes shouldn’t just be about the kissing.
7. Jane Austen is made of awesome.
6. Psychological scary is scarier than physical scary . . . especially when you’re invested in the characters.
5. Julie Kagawa dreamed of being a werewolf when she was a little girl.
4. Those cool boys in your high school class . . . They might inspire the voice of your main character one day.
3. Conveying an accent is all about word choice.
2. Do not fear the red pen!
1. In order to be a great writer, get out and live a little!
Want to read more? Check out the Figment Live archives page, which has links to transcripts and highlights to all the live chats here on Figment. Enjoy! Did we miss something? Tell us your favorite Figment Live moments in the comments.