Whether you’re heartbroken or head over heels, Valentine’s Day tends to stir up a lot of strong feelings. We get it and we’re here to help. Whatever sentiment the Hallmark holiday brings up about relationships past, present, and fictional, we want to hear about it! We’re joining forces with our friends at SMITHTeens — home of the Six-Word Memoirs — to give you the chance to tell romance exactly what you think of it … and potentially win a spot in an amazing LIVE Valentine’s Day show in New York City, alongside stars of the NYC storytelling scene!
Tell Two Stories
For this contest, you’ll submit TWO stories:
THEN, come back here to figment.com and write a story of 500 words or less about a relationship starting or a relationship ending.
One grand-prize winner, chosen by SMITHTeens and Figment, will win the opportunity to read both of their pieces live or via video at our amazing Valentine’s Day event, “It’s Like My Heart Has Sciatica”: SMITH Mag’s Annual Love & Heartbreak Story Show — with Figment — in New York City on February 14.
Some important stuff to keep in mind:
– You must be between 13 and 19 years old at the time of entry.
– Your two pieces should be related in some way.
– You should use the 6-word letter you wrote on SMITHTeens as the title of your Figment piece. (If all 6 words don’t fit in the Figment title field, use as many words as you can, then add the letter to the top of your entry. Those 6 words will not be included in your final 500 word count.)
– Your pieces can be about a real relationship you’ve had or witnessed, or they can be about a fictional relationship.
1. Read the full rules.
1. Create an account on Figment.com.
2. Start a new writing of 500 words or fewer.
3. Tag your writing with SmithMagazine on the “Details” tab.
4. Press “Publish Now.”
5. You should receive a pop-up confirmation of your entry, and in about two hours or so, your piece should appear among the submissions below.
You must submit your entries on both sites by Monday, February 4 at 11:59 pm EST.