As we approach, a wilted little girl with blond hair and cuts on her face looks up from a pad of something and scurries into a nearby room.
‘They show movies here sometimes.’ Bobby shrugs. ‘Sometimes at the other end by the smoking lounge.’
‘Uh-huh. Who was that?’
‘Noelle. They moved her here from teen.’
– Ned Vizzini, It’s Kind of a Funny Story
This week, we’re challenging you to fictionalize your life, and today’s prompt is inspired by the Noelle and Craig in It’s Kind of a Funny Story.
Today’s Prompt (Thursday, July 18):
In 100 words or fewer, write a scene in which you introduce your love interest.
Tag your story FictionFlashWeek and FictionFlash4. You have until Friday, July 19 at 11:59 p.m. ET to enter your story.
Between now and midnight on Saturday, July 20 keep checking the main challenge page for more prompts
Figment editors will be reading all entries. Five daily winners will be featured on the Figment homepage.
How to enter
1. Read the full rules.
2. Create an account on Figment.com.
3. Start a new writing of 100 words or less.
4. Tag your writing FictionFlashWeek and FictionFlash4 on the Details tab. (That’s two tags!)
5. Enter your response by the deadline listed in the prompt.
6. Press “Publish Now.”
7. You should receive a pop-up confirmation of your entry, and in about two hours or so, your piece should appear among the submissions.
Please note: The comment box below is only for questions about how to enter this contest or other logistical issues. For comments, thoughts, suggestions, complaints about the contest system, please visit our Contest Input forum. To find someone to read your story, try the Contest Promotion forum.