Happy Birthday, William Carlos Williams!
The American Modernist poet would have been 130 years old today. To celebrate, we’re hosting a writing contest inspired by his poetry!
Poet and critic Randall Jarrell wrote that Williams “reproduces the details of what he sees with surprising freshness, clarity, and economy; and he sees just as extraordinarily, sometimes, the forms of this earth, the spirit moving behind the letters.”
Our favorite example of his work is the poem, “This Is Just To Say” —
I have eaten
that were in
you were probably
they were delicious
and so cold
Write a poem about the everyday circumstances of life. Poems can be in any style, but should be no more than 400 words. Tag your poem WCWcontest. You have until 11:59 p.m. ET on Monday, September 23 to enter your poem.
Figment editors will be reading all the entries. Five winners will be featured on the Figment homepage.
How to enter
1. Read the full rules.
2. Create an account on Figment.com.
3. Start a new writing of 400 words or less.
4. Tag your writing WCWcontest on the Details tab.
5. Enter your response by the deadline listed in the prompt.
6. Press “Publish Now.”
7. You should receive a pop-up confirmation of your entry, and in about two hours or so, your piece should appear among the submissions.
Please note: The comment box below is only for questions about how to enter this contest or other logistical issues. For comments, thoughts, suggestions, complaints about the contest system, please visit our Contest Input forum. To find someone to read your story, try the Contest Promotion forum.