Each week we will be featuring one member for their outstanding contributions to the Figment community.
This week we’re featuring Kylie! Check out five of her stories along with her interview questions below!
What do you enjoy most about Figment and its community?
- I enjoy the people most. I’ve met some amazing people on figment, and they’ve helped grow as a writer and a person. I also enjoy the groups. The contests – for both covers and stories – help me grow creatively and ‘writingly’ :P.
What is your favorite story that you have shared on Figment and why?
- Alone In The Rain. It’s my first ever completed novel here, and it took me five months to complete. It’s a verse novel, and it is only 10,000 words. I really enjoyed writing it, and I appreciate everyone who commented on it, hearted on it, and encouraged me to keep going.
Where do you find inspiration to write and keep writing?
- Music. It really truly inspires me. I personally select positive music with great meanings that represent my story. It also inspires me to write stories, such as Small-Town Girl and Big-City Boy, which were both inspired by “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey.
What is the last book that you read?
- Figment book: Inside My Mind by Phelpsy. Real Book: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher (for the millionth time) 🙂
Do you have any advice for other Figgies looking to improve their writing?
- Look for people who encourage you, yet critique you. Also try to proofread on your own. As well, look for something that you really want to write about. If you want to write about mice and cheese, GO FOR IT. No one is stopping you 🙂
Congratulations again Kylie and thank you for sharing talent, inspiration and advice with us! Be sure to check out some of her work below.
FORMERLY Small-Town Girl
Kiara Marie is just your average girl living an average life in a small town.
Tate is known throughout. He lives a somewhat-attempted ‘normal’ life, but living in L.A. ruins any chance at privacy.
Kiara has always had a hidden gift only her small town knows about. Due to an incident between her little sister and Kiara’s mom, she’s heading to a tryout in Kansas by a midnight train. It could be a big change – for better or worse – in Kiara’s life.
Tate’s trying out too – for the male lead. He has most of the talent – but not everything. With a stroke of luck, he could very well make it.
He’s also going on a midnight train. Not the same one as Kiara’s, until they meet up at a transfer stop.
.The phrase has always been ‘Opposites Attract’. But when you couldn’t be any different, does that apply?
But yet, somehow they click…
With a simple chord…
Love & Belief.
Inspired by the song Don’t Stop Believing by Journey…but I’ve been listening to the Glee
Thanks to William Carter for making this WAAYYY less cliche!
Tate Seely. Your big name guy. One of the most popular kids.
He doesn’t know Kiara Marie.
Kiara Marie. The one who somehow slips your mind. She is invisible – but she likes it.
Tate is known all around L.A. He’s finally trying out for a big name movie down in Kansas. But the only was to get there is by a midnight train.
Kiara Marie is going to Kansas. Her voice is something the producers loved and wanted her to try out. This could be the end of invisible Kiara Marie. The only was to get to Kansas – however…is a midnight train.
The same midnight train as Tate’s.
An Impossible duo.
Brought together by a single chord.
Imagine you are somewhere. Anywhere. There is a falling star coming your way. What do you wish for? Your dream to come true? Me too. But, what exactly is YOUR dream? Going to the olympics? Flying? Touching the moon?
Meet Raina Elynn Akira, a girl who wants nothing but her dream to come true. But, in a world where nothing like that ever happens, Raina will have to make it her own goal, her own DREAM to make that happen. But when someone doesn’t want Raina’s dream to come true, they will do anything in their power to stop it. But Raina’s determined. She’ll do it, one way or another. Will Raina break the barrier separating the dream from being a hoax? Or will her plane crash and burn.
“Life is like an hourglass glued to the table. Once it’s gone, it’s gone. You can’t flip it back over. You’re gone when it’s gone.”
This is a Verse Novel. A verse novel is a type of narrative poetry in which a novel-length narrative is told throughout the story.
Word Count Goal: 10,000
I’ll be updating this between chapters of Alone In The Rain 🙂
Every feel…out of it? Like…your a nobody? Or…have you every been bullied? Sexually assaulted? Inspired by Laurie Halse Anderson’s novel Speak these poems/short stories are people trying to speak out.
Congratulations again, Kylie!
Let us know who you think should be our next Featured Fig!
– The Figment Team