Each week we will be featuring one member for their outstanding contributions to the Figment community.
This week we’re featuring Sunny Little! Check out five of her stories along with her interview questions below!
What do you enjoy most about Figment and its community?
- Well, this is funny because the thing I enjoy most about Figment IS its community. I don’t often come across a group of people with personalities that are completely distinct from one another, yet they can be brought together by just one thing: the art of writing. I mean, throughout my time on this site I have met an eloquent writer with morbid interests who may or may not be insane, a funny dude who had made his mark as THE funny dude on Figment, and a hardcore Indian girl who listens to metal. There’s also this other girl who likes to review other people’s reviews because she’s just so thoughtful like that. This is sort of my failed attempt at doing a shoutout. You guys know who you are. 😉 It’s really refreshing to be a part of a community with both diversity and unity.
What is your favorite story that you have shared on Figment and why?
- I want to say “Conversing with Nina” because it was the first short story I shared on Figment and I received quite a lot of positive feedback for it. In fact, most of the feedbacks I got for my writing are for that particular piece. However, I’m going to ditch that fancy idea and go with “The Jefferson Composition” instead. It’s not as well-known but I’m really proud of it because I tried an alternative way of telling that story and was mostly happy with what I was able to come up with. It was also my first attempt at unconventional science fiction so that sure got me stirred with fulfillment.
Where do you find inspiration to write and keep writing?
- I learned that inspiration will eventually find you so I stopped trying to look for it myself. Though I think straying away from the conventional and the element of surprise opened a lot of doors for me in storytelling.
What is the last book that you read?
- “Mothership: Resistance is Fertile” by Martin Leicht and Isla Neal. It’s a comedy series about schools in space, aliens, forbidden love and feisty pregnant teenagers. Watch out, Game of Thrones.
Do you have any advice for other Figgies looking to improve their writing?
- Not sure if I’m in a position to be giving writing advice but here I go. Just start writing already. Write brilliantly. Write horribly. There will be a lot of time for you to edit later. No one can read what you have to say until you are ready to share. When you do share, be okay with criticism. Admit that your writing is not flawless. Do your best to fix those flaws but don’t lose yourself trying to please every single person with an opinion on your work. Lastly, read. *cue wise old man intelligently stroking on his fabulous beard* There is a Chinese proverb that says that if you read more than 10,000 scrolls, you’ll be able to write as if helped by divine inspiration. So go read all those scrolls, my friends! Or books, if that’s how you roll.
Congratulations again Sunny and thank you for sharing talent, inspiration and advice with us! Be sure to check out some of her work below.
Winner of Project Figment Season 2 Prompt 1: Location Inspiration
Felicity in the big city. Ha, it rhymes.
Die, little bird, die.
Winner of Project Figment Season 2 Prompt 5: Man Versus Machine
Douglas Jefferson struggles between two identities: a man of science and a man who understands the significance of inevitable loss.
This piece was inspired by neuroscientist Theodore Berger’s research and achievements in treating severe memory loss.
Don’t read the comments and reviews before you read the story itself! 🙂
Featured in the Figment Newsletter as Editor’s Choice. Thank you, editors, whoever you may be!
Winner of Figment Headquarter’s The Twist contest
Nina Samson was not at all who she seemed to be.
Cover was made by the awesome Kiara Marie, who deserves an award for it.
Congratulations again, Sunny!
Let us know who you think should be our next Featured Fig!
– The Figment Team