Have you ever wondered whether or not you were apart of a cult? Thanks to the recent release of Astray by Amy Christine Parker, we have came up with 10 ways to tell if you’re in a cult! Check below to find out more about the book as well as tips to help you in your situation.
- You fear the leader.There is one member out of your friends who appear to be of a higher rank than the others. They have a set way of living that all of their friends should follow, otherwise you may not be apart of the group anymore.
- Your family starts to notice you acting differently. You feel more antagonistic about life in general and start to question yourself more.
- If you disagree with your friends, you are made to feel ignorant or out-of-place.
- Your friends are too concerned with money. The need for increased cash in your circle beings more important than anything else.
- You find yourself strongly taking up for your group members or leaders when your friends and/or family mentions them… but you’re not 100% sure why.
- You’re constantly being forced or persuaded to do things you don’t want to do, and may even regret later.
- You friends make you start to feel like you and your group of friends are separate from everyone else at your school, church or community.
- Your friends constantly put down other people or groups to make themselves look better, encouraging you to join in.
- They take part in harmful activities either to themselves or other things and/or people and have excuses and reasoning behind it.
- You’ve identified with most of these reasons and are still having difficulty admitting that you may be in one.
Are you afraid you’re in a cult? If so, be sure to let your parents know and check out this website for help!
About the book:
Lyla is caught between two worlds. The isolated Community that she grew up in and the outside world that she’s navigating for the very first time. The outsiders call the Community a cult, but Pioneer miraculously survived a shooting that should have killed him. Are the faithful members right to stay true to his message? Is this just a test of faith? One thing is for sure: the Community will do anything to bring Lyla back to the fold. Trapped in a spider’s web of deception, will Lyla detect the sticky threads tightening around her before it’s too late? She’ll have to unravel the mystery of what Pioneer and the Community are truly up to if she wants to survive.