Each week we will be featuring one member for their outstanding contributions to the Figment community.
This week we’re featuring K.D. Hailey! Check out five of her stories along with her interview questions below!
What do you enjoy most about Figment and its community?
- The best part for me is the ability to post my stories on the website for the world to see, participate in the groups where my lovely anime friends are, take part in contests when I feel like I have writers block, and swap with others so that I can see what other amazing stories people have posted on the group! Also, I love the fact I have a safe place to put my stories that none of my friends or family can see in case my flash drive or computer corrupts.
What is your favorite story that you have shared on Figment and why?
- oOh Gosh. I have so many stories on here, it’s hard to pick a favorite. Okay, so my favorite one at the moment has to be Battle For Morkeep. I love it so much because it is about the journey of a young High Elf named Anya who has to find a way to take back her land. Not only that, but this is an entire fantasy world created by me! I drew the map, made markers, named lakes and mountains and forests that probably wont even be mentioned in my story. Also, the adventures and troubles this girl is going to face is going to be beyond amazing to write out.
Where do you find inspiration to write and keep writing?
- I mostly find my inspiration from my dreams, real life situations, and movies. My dreams are something amazing and crazy and I can always find a way to make a story out of it. Of course real life is going to inspire me because you never know whats going to happen, which is the fun part!
What is the last book that you read?
- The last book I read was Beowulf and that was for English Class. I just love hero tales and such. Did you know that J. R. R. Tolkien, the writer of The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings series was inspired by Beowulf? That’s why there are common scenes between the stories if you look carefully.
Do you have any advice for other Figgies looking to improve their writing?
- My best advice to EVERYBODY no matter WHO YOU ARE is to NEVER compare your writing to anybody else. Another thing that my playwright tutors told me is to never let somebody change your story unless YOU like it yourself. If you see a review or comment that you do not like, then you ignore or delete it. Its your writing, you do what you want with it!
Congratulations again, K.D. and thank you for sharing your talent, inspiration and advice with us! Be sure to check out some of her work below.
Congratulations again, K.D.!
Let us know who you think should be our next Featured Fig!
– The Figment Team