Each week we will be featuring one member for their outstanding contributions to the Figment community.
This week we’re featuring Amie Fortman! Check out five of her stories along with her interview questions below!
What do you enjoy most about Figment and its community?
- I love the opportunity to read so many creative, original stories and reach out to the authors personally to learn more about them.
What is your favorite story that you have shared on Figment and why?
- The last story I shared was “Tick Tock Your Majesty” by Arena Corrigan, an entry to the Brandon Sanderson competition I thought was so clever and involving for incorporating a familiar story into its tale of the villain. Not often is Alice of “Wonderland” fame portrayed as out for revenge.
Where do you find inspiration to write and keep writing?
- I listen to a lot of music either as I write or as I think of what to write next. Movie soundtracks are the best for setting the mood and tone for a story, and certain songs can really help me to develop a character.
What is the last book that you read?
- The last book I read was “The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian” by Lloyd Alexander
Do you have any advice for other Figgies looking to improve their writing?
- My advice to fellow figgies–less is more. There’s no need to bog down your story with flowery descriptions or lofty dialogue. If you have a good message, good characters, and a good journey for them to go through underneath it all, everything else will just fall into place.
Congratulations again, Amie and thank you for sharing your talent, inspiration and advice with us! Be sure to check out some of her work below.
Congratulations again, Amie!
Let us know who you think should be our next Featured Fig!
– The Figment Team