Each week we will be featuring one member for their outstanding contributions to the Figment community.
This week we’re featuring Katie-Marie George! Check out five of her stories along with her interview questions below!
What do you enjoy most about Figment and its community?
- I really like how I can get feedback on my own original work from other people. I also love having the opportunity to share my work with the world, and being in contact with people who love to write just as much as me! I like that I’ve been able to get my friends to sign up as well. Please have a look at Alex Wardle’s work – she is a great friend of mine and is an amazing writer! Taking part in contests and being part of groups is a great thing to me as well, as it gives me challenges in my writing, and it opens up new ideas for other stories as well. The best thing about it though is when people can be inspired by my work, and it makes me happy to know that I can inspire others.
What is your favorite story that you have shared on Figment and why?
- My favourite story that I’ve shared is The Lightning Catcher because it came from one of my first Creative Writing classes in college. We were given a list of random things that people in the street had said, and as soon as I saw the line ‘I always feel alive in the middle of a storm’, it just clicked! It became the first line of my story, and I have so many ideas flowing out of my imagination based on that one little sentence! It just makes me wonder about the power that a few words can have on someone. I have only just started to put it together properly, but I’m excited about what I’m going to do with it! Plus, I have always loved the idea of superpowers, so why not?
Where do you find inspiration to write and keep writing?
- Inspiration for my writing comes from a variety of places. One of these is sometimes from personal experiences. I like to be able to connect to what I write through this, and it helps ideas to stem from it too. This can be anything from little things that my friends or family have done or said to a particularly extraordinary event. I feel inspired by the people all around me every day. I also find inspiration from other stories that I read, especially fantasy or romance. Mysteries are great as well. I love fiction, because it makes your imagination work, and I love seeing what people can create! Imagination to me has more power than knowledge. As for what keeps me writing, I’d have to say that my closest friends and family are what keep me going, especially my mum. She has encouraged me to continue writing for a long time, especially in darker times, and I’m so glad she has. I want to make her smile when she reads my work, because she has inspired me for so long.
What is the last book that you read?
- The last book that I’ve read (and always re-reading) is HEAVEN by Alexandra Adornetto. It’s the final installment of her HALO series, and I love it so much! It’s about a trio of angels who come down to earth on a mission to purify the Earth of demons in the name of God. But the youngest angel, Bethany, is too curious and falls in love with a human boy called Xavier. But this is forbidden to angels, so there’s a little drama! But a demon disguised as a boy named Jake wants Bethany for himself as well! I absolutely adore this trilogy because it has all the aspects of things that I love – romance, fantasy and danger, yet it has a relatively normal setting. It has aspects of modern life everywhere, yet it has a classic love thrown in. On top of that, I’ve always loved the idea of angels, so this was perfect for me! I recommend this series to absolutely anyone who loves reading, as it makes you laugh, blush and cry all the way through!
Do you have any advice for other Figgies looking to improve their writing?
- To all you amazing Figgies, I say in terms of the quality of your writing, make sure you re-read your work over and over, because you never know where you can add something or take something away. You might have a new idea altogether! Also edit until you feel truly happy with it. But in terms of what truly makes writing amazing – I think should always include a piece of you in it, or an expression of something or someone you love. It has to mean something to you. Let the world know it’s YOU writing – show off who you are and what you want to say, no matter what genre or style you write in! That said, please keep writing, and I hope to hear what you think of my work soon!
Congratulations again and thank you for sharing your talent, inspiration and advice with us! Be sure to check out some of her work below.
Congratulations again, Katie-Marie!
Let us know who you think should be our next Featured Fig!
– The Figment Team