Each week we will be featuring one member for their outstanding contributions to the Figment community.
This week we’re featuring Emma Harrison! Check out five of her stories along with her interview questions below!
What do you enjoy most about Figment and its community?
- I really love the friendliness of the community. Everyone gives positive and helpful feedback on work, and I feel I’ve gotten a lot of help on my pieces over the couple of years I’ve been on.
What is your favorite story that you have shared on Figment and why?
- My favorite story I’ve shared so far would probably be either my novel in progress, The Descent, or my poem, Broken. I have a strong idea for The Descent and I’m looking forward to sharing it with the Figment community; however, my poem I just recently wrote and I feel that it really connects with children and teens who are bullied.
Where do you find inspiration to write and keep writing?
- I find inspiration in my life. Something will either happen to me or one of my friends and I will make a mental note to later write about it. It could really be anything from a conversation during lunch to running a 10K or something on a more serious note, such as bullying.
What is the last book that you read?
- The last book I read for school was To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I absolutely adore that book! But the last book I read for fun would be The Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver.
Do you have any advice for other Figgies looking to improve their writing?
- This is going to sound cliché, but don’t give up on your writing. I have brought back themes, topics, and complete stories all the way back from elementary and middle school years and intensely edited and changed and a few are on Figment! You never know, the next time you try could be the best one yet. Also, enjoy harsh criticism. You may not like it (I know I don’t) but it’s what helps you grow as a writer. My pieces would have never gotten better had I not learned from the harsh critiques I have received.
Congratulations again and thank you for sharing your talent, inspiration and advice with us! Be sure to check out some of her work below.
Congratulations again, Emma!
Let us know who you think should be our next Featured Fig!
– The Figment Team