Each week we will be featuring one member for their outstanding contributions to the Figment community.
This week we’re featuring M. Prince! Check out five of her stories along with her interview answers below!
What do you enjoy most about Figment and its community?
- I really like all the opportunities Figment has given me to connect with other writers. I also really like how community driven the website is, as opposed to other massive writing websites like Wattpad, for instance. Most people on Figment are very involved, which is part of what makes the site great.
What is your favorite story that you have shared on Figment and why?
- I think I really like The Odd Years. It was partly inspired by the writing style of Scott Heim and partly inspired by some rather rowdy kids I saw playing together earlier that day, and I really like how I put it together. There’s a bit that’s a little rough because I had to modify it to fit a contest prompt, but nevertheless, I think it may be one of the best things if not the best thing I’ve written to date.
Where do you find inspiration to write and keep writing?
- I find that my best pieces usually are inspired by a variety of books, comics, TV shows, and movies. I can be inspired by an art style, or a writing style, or even by something like a disclaimer. However, I find that inspiration doesn’t strike often, and so in order to keep myself writing, I’ve found that I can churn out pieces quite well under pressure (read: contests).
What is the last book that you read?
- I don’t know, actually. I’ve sort of been picking up titles here and there since September and reading bits and pieces of them. Some of those include Catch 22, For Whom The Bell Tolls, The Martian, and more. I think the last book I read from start to finish was probably Mysterious Skin by Scott Heim – which is incredible, by the way. Highly recommend.
Do you have any advice for other Figgies looking to improve their writing?
- Writing is a strange thing; it works differently for everyone. Find what works for you, I guess. And try to deviate from your regular genre. You might be surprised.
Congratulations again and thank you for sharing your talent, inspiration and advice with us! Be sure to check out some of their work below.
Let us know who you think should be our next Featured Fig!
– The Figment Team