Each week we will be featuring one member for their outstanding contributions to the Figment community.
This week we’re featuring Kaylee Herndon! Check out five of her stories along with her interview answers below!
What do you enjoy most about Figment and its community?
- I like that, unlike other writing sites, it is very easy to give and receive feedback. It is also a great place to meet and connect with other writers while seeing various styles.
What is your favorite story that you have shared on Figment and why?
- My favorite poem I have shared is titled Psithurism. It is one of my recent works and I was playing with rhyme schemes with repetition. I was very happy with the result. My favorite story I have shared is titled Night Visions because everything mentioned in the story is a metaphor for another object/character in the story.
Where do you find inspiration to write and keep writing?
- I find inspiration in situations that cause a lot of emotional turmoil. I like to try to capture the specific emotion or the struggle of multiple emotions with words. I am also a part of a small community of writers; we all motivate each other when we are having trouble or get writer’s block.
What is the last book that you read?
- The last book I read was Shadow Study, the fourth book in the Study Series by Maria V. Snyder.
Do you have any advice for other Figgies looking to improve their writing?
- When I write poetry I try to avoid punctuation until the first edit. Make sure to get the whole idea down while you have it; sometimes worrying about little details like punctuation interrupt the flow of the idea the first time around. Also, do not be afraid to break poetry into stanzas, it can help show what is important and/or help separate similar ideas.
Congratulations again and thank you for sharing your talent, inspiration and advice with us! Be sure to check out some of their work below.
Let us know who you think should be our next Featured Fig!
– The Figment Team