Each week we will be featuring one member for their outstanding contributions to the Figment community.
This week we’re featuring Eastlyn Ullmann! Check out five of their stories along with their interview answers below!
What do you enjoy most about Figment and its community?
- I really enjoy the opportunity to share with others both my Catholic Faith and my passion for writing. I hope to inspire as many people as possible with my works. It is a life-changing experience to see other writers enjoying the bits and pieces of my heart that I have put on here for all to see.
What is your favorite story that you have shared on Figment and why?
- It is a really hard decision for me to make, but I would have to say it is “Moon Flower.” I wrote that short story for a novel-writing class I was taking, and I believe it is one of my more emotionally-impacting works. When I can feel the emotions of my own characters, and there is also an important message in the writing, I know I have composed something worthwhile. I would like to edit that story again for the sake of polishing it, so hopefully I will get some good advice on it. 🙂
Where do you find inspiration to write and keep writing?
- I find inspiration from a lot of places, but especially from my own experiences. I write a lot of poetry in my down time, and it is usually about what is currently happening in my life. Sometimes, though, I cannot really put a finger on what inspires me. I just get these little feelings and they need to be written down. What keeps me going is the fact that I love forming our alphabet into the masterpiece that is literature. I still have a long way to go as an author, but I do it for God, too. He gives me the most inspiration and the greatest reason to keep writing.
What is the last book that you read?
- The last book that I read was actually a school assignment, but I really enjoyed it. It was The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder. Wilder does a fantastically precise job with descriptions of both physical and emotional events. This book enlightened me, especially in the way it speaks about true love vs. passion. True love consists in sacrifice and selfless care for another person. Passion involves loving a person simply for the pleasure or personal gain that they may give to you.
Do you have any advice for other Figgies looking to improve their writing?
- One of the pieces of advice that I find myself constantly giving is to read your compositions out loud. This helps me to find mistakes or awkward phrases. Also, just continue writing if you love it. There comes a point when others’ opinions do not solely govern what you write but you are still humble enough to take constructive advice. Work hard and write what you love!
Congratulations again and thank you for sharing your talent, inspiration and advice with us! Be sure to check out some of their work below.
Let us know who you think should be our next Featured Fig!
– The Figment Team