As we announced last week, April is AASL contest month! Each week in April, we’ll announce a new contest prompt in a different genre of creative fiction (including romance, sci-fi, and paranormal), and this week it’s contemporary fiction.
Gayle Forman is the bestselling author of the wildly popular If I Stay, a novel in which Mia, a musician, must spend a day deciding whether to live or die. The sequel to If I Stay, Where She Went, will be released tomorrow.
Here’s your prompt: Write a story or poem in fewer than 750 words (short and sweet!) that takes place in the course of one day; somewhere in the story you must include original lyrics. This means that you must include lyrics that you’ve written.
Instructions on how to enter:
-Create a new writing
-Tag it contemporarycontest
-Be sure to press “Publish Now”
-Wait the hour or so it sometimes takes for entries to show up BELOW.
The deadline is Sunday, April 10 at 9PM EST. Then YOU decide the finalists by voting on your favorite entries; you can vote until Friday, April 15th at 6pm EST. The top hearted entries will become finalists. The winner will receive signed copies of Gayle Forman’s books, get highlighted on our blog and newsletter and AASL’s blog and newsletter, and be entered (along with the winners of all four contests) to win a Kindle. Good luck, Figs!
1. One entry per person, please.
2. The promotion of your contest entry is not allowed on Figment. This includes self-promotion and the promotion of other users’ contest entries in the Figment forums, the comments and reviews of stories, and the Figment Facebook page. Independent promotion on sites unrelated to Figment, like personal Facebook or Twitter accounts, is fine.
3. Works must be published between the announcement of the contest and the closure of the contest. Entries created before the start date or after the end date will not be included in the pages of contest entries and will be ineligible to win. This means a new story must be created for the contest; adapting an old story published before the start of the contest will make the entry ineligible to win.
4. The rules of the contest are both strict and open to interpretation by a moderator.
5. It is the user’s responsibility to properly tag the story so that the story appears within the contest submissions. Untagged or improperly tagged stories will not be shown with the submissions and will not be eligible to win.
6. The creation of multiple accounts to heart or otherwise vote for your contest entry on Figment is prohibited, and may result in the disqualification of that entry, the deletion of your Figment account, and/or the blocking of your IP address permanently from the site, at the moderator’s discretion.