How would Rapunzel’s story change if she had to dangle her hair from the top of a skyscraper instead of a tower? If Snow White was felled by taser instead of poisoned apple? If Jack had to balance climbing the beanstalk with homework, varsity soccer, and the SATs?
For the Modern Fairy Tale Contest, inspired by author Jackson Pearce’s Sisters Red, a modern retelling of the story of Little Red Riding Hood, we’re asking Figmenters to take classic fables and fairy tales and see what happens when the characters and storylines are set in a contemporary context. Would magic still exist? Would mythical creatures roam the sidewalks of our cities? You’re free to decide the degree to which the original story remains intact when transported to a different time period.
How to submit:
1) Write a story of no more than 1,200 words and submit it by Sunday, May 8th and 12 AM EST.
2) Email your story to email@example.com
3) Sign up for Figment (it’s easy and free)
4) Follow Modern Fairy Tale on Figment.
We’ll announce the top ten finalists within the week after the contest’s end date; those submissions will be sent to author Jackson Pearce herself (you’ll also remember her as the genius behind the Writers Blok video), who will choose the winner. The winner will receive a copy of Sisters Red, a feature about them on the blog, and a copy of The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm.
1. One entry per person, please.
2. The promotion of your contest entry is not allowed on Figment. This includes self-promotion and the promotion of other users’ contest entries in the Figment forums, the comments and reviews of stories, and the Figment Facebook page. Independent promotion on sites unrelated to Figment, like personal Facebook or Twitter accounts, is fine.
3. Works must be submitted to the above email address between the announcement of the contest and the closure of the contest. Entries created before the start date or after the end date will not be included in the pages of contest entries and will be ineligible to win. This means a new story must be created for the contest; adapting an old story published before the start of the contest will make the entry ineligible to win.
4. The rules of the contest are both strict and open to interpretation by a moderator.
5. The creation of multiple accounts to heart or otherwise vote for your contest entry on Figment is prohibited, and may result in the disqualification of that entry, the deletion of your Figment account, and/or the blocking of your IP address permanently from the site, at the moderator’s discretion.