Huck Finn. Holden Caulfield. Mulan. Lydia Bennett. Ariel the Little Mermaid. Whether these characters were running from an awful situation or running towards something new, they made the choice to leave it all behind. What made them pack their bags? Did they find what they were looking for?
For this contest, write a story or poem in 1000 words or fewer that features a character (or characters) who has (have) run away in order to ___[fill in the blank]___. You can chose what they’re running away from/to. This is the photograph that should help you get started:
This contest is in honor of Family, by Micol Ostow, a story that features a character who runs away from her family and finds a new “family” with a cult. You can read an excerpt of it on Figment here.
How to enter:
-Create a new writing
-Tag it runawaycontest
-Be sure to press “Publish Now”
-Wait the hour or so it sometimes takes for entries to show up BELOW.
The deadline is Sunday, May 15 at 9PM EST. Then YOU decide the finalists by voting on your favorite entries; you can vote until Friday, May 20th at 6pm EST. The top hearted entries will become finalists. The winner will receive signed copies of one of Micol’s books, get highlighted on our blog, and these adorable notebooks. Good luck, Figs!
1. One entry per person, please.
2. The promotion of your contest entry is not allowed on Figment. This includes self-promotion and the promotion of other users’ contest entries in the Figment forums, the comments and reviews of stories, and the Figment Facebook page. Independent promotion on sites unrelated to Figment, like personal Facebook or Twitter accounts, is fine.
3. Works must be published between the announcement of the contest and the closure of the contest. Entries created before the start date or after the end date will not be included in the pages of contest entries and will be ineligible to win. This means a new story must be created for the contest; adapting an old story published before the start of the contest will make the entry ineligible to win.
4. The rules of the contest are both strict and open to interpretation by a moderator.
5. It is the user’s responsibility to properly tag the story so that the story appears within the contest submissions. Untagged or improperly tagged stories will not be shown with the submissions and will not be eligible to win.
6. The creation of multiple accounts to heart or otherwise vote for your contest entry on Figment is prohibited, and may result in the disqualification of that entry, the deletion of your Figment account, and/or the blocking of your IP address permanently from the site, at the moderator’s discretion.