The students at the New York Ballet Academy have one goal: to become professional ballet dances. That goal comes with countless sacrifices. They spend all their free time at practice, rehearsing endlessly. But there are also rewards: the thrill of performance and dancing on stage in front of thousands.
Vanessa may have decided to attend NYBA in hopes of uncovering the mystery of her sister’s disappearance. But she’s also a talented dancer, and when she’s cast in the lead role in The Firebird, she finds her attentions divided. Will she find her sister? Or will she suffer a similar fate?
Sunday’s Prompt (2/17)
“In 150 words or fewer, write about a big performance.” Tag your story ShadowsContest and DanceFlash5. You’ll have until Monday, February 18 at 11:59 p.m. ET to enter your story.
Between now and midnight on Monday, February 18, keep checking the main challenge page for more prompts!
How to Enter
1. Read the full rules.
2. Create an account on Figment.com.
3. Start a new writing of 150 words or fewer.
4. Tag your writing both ShadowsContest and DanceFlash5 on the Details tab. (That’s two tags!)
5. Enter your response by the deadline listed in the prompt.
6. Press “Publish Now.”
7. You should receive a pop-up confirmation of your entry, and in about two hours or so, your piece should appear among the submissions.
Figment editors will be reading all the entries. One grand-prize winner will receive Dance of Shadows by Yelena Black, the entire NEED series by Carrie Jones (Need, Captivate, Entice, Endure), and a ballet-inspired pendant necklace.