Each week we will be featuring one member for their outstanding contributions to the Figment community.
This week we’re featuring A.J. Cypher! Check out five of her stories along with her interview questions below!
What do you enjoy most about Figment and its community?
- Having a place like Figment to post my writing and get feedback in return is a motivator. It’s like having an assignment due in class, I feel compelled to complete it and turn it in, so to say. Also, having the ability to read and respond to other people’s works in progress is a great way for me to gain more experience with editing and writing as a whole.
What is your favorite story that you have shared on Figment and why?
- My novel in progress, The Underground. It’s set in a fantasy world that gives me a looot of leeway, which is what I love so much about the Fantasy genre. The Underground was my very first attempt at really writing fiction, and it’s been an ongoing project amongst smaller projects. I just like being able to go back and work on it whenever. Not to mention it’s got some of my favorite characters in it.
Where do you find inspiration to write and keep writing?
- From the people and places around me. The most random things will inspire me. It could be the way someone says or does something, the sound of a word or a name, the elements of a setting I’m surrounded by. When I see or hear these things I feel the need to write them down and put them in a story.
What is the last book that you read?
- I’ve actually completed two at about the same time. Jackaby by William Ritter, and what’s technically a collection, Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenters and Seymour an Introduction by JD Salinger. I recommend both!
Do you have any advice for other Figgies looking to improve their writing?
- Write for yourself, and never stop writing. Even if you think it’s terrible, even if other people say it’s terrible, keep writing. It’s the only way to get better. And just because one person didn’t like it doesn’t mean someone else won’t. What’s most important is that you like it and enjoy it, because it’s your writing.
Congratulations again and thank you for sharing your talent, inspiration and advice with us! Be sure to check out some of her work below.
Congratulations again, A.J.!
Let us know who you think should be our next Featured Fig!
– The Figment Team