Each week we will be featuring one member for their outstanding contributions to the Figment community.
This week we’re featuring Margaret K. Johnson! Check out five of her stories along with her interview answers below!
What do you enjoy most about Figment and its community?
- I enjoy that there’s a focus on helping each other to improve as writers. I have gotten so much friendly but useful constructive criticism on Figment and it has improved my writing.
What is your favorite story that you have shared on Figment and why?
- This is such a hard question! Everything that I currently have published on Figment is over a year old (some of them over three years old), and a first draft. I’ll list Flames here, because I am very attached to it and currently working on planning the second draft, which I am happy with so far. Flames is also the only story that has the entire first draft of it published on Figment.
Where do you find inspiration to write and keep writing?
- A picture, music, or the though of a character or a situation are things that inspire me to start writing, but I have a problem with perseverance. NaNoWriMo, lots of music, late nights alone, lots of self-talk and daydreaming about my story helps me to keep writing.
What is the last book that you read?
- It was Macbeth, my second time reading it. I actually enjoyed it.
Do you have any advice for other Figgies looking to improve their writing?
- Yes! Keep writing. You can’t get better if you don’t practice. I also think that reviewing other people’s writing is very helpful because it helps you to learn to look for what is good and what isn’t in a work. Then you can apply that knowledge to your own writing.
Congratulations again and thank you for sharing your talent, inspiration and advice with us! Be sure to check out some of their work below.
Let us know who you think should be our next Featured Fig!
– The Figment Team